Thursday, July 1, 2010

TICKLED :)

Father's Day weekend was predicted to be our second busiest time of the year at the Sports Authority. And it was quite busy this Friday, the 18th. We had our best line up out on the floor to bring our "A" game. Oh, we brought it. At least I did. On this day, I was the designated greeter. I was the one selected to be the 1st AND last face our customers saw. What an honour!And, oh, how I was tickled! I was having the time of my life. Why? I know not. Logically, it doesn't make sense. Any other time in my life, I would have dreaded having to address people, offereing a "list of our deals going on for Father's Day", and getting stiff armed. Ignored. Denied. Told to "get a real job". And yet, in this moment, I could not stop laughing. Smiling. Beaming. I was absolutely tickled. My coworkers would walk by and comment, "You look like you are having fun up here." I would agree, "I actually am having fun!" Everyone was surprised. Including me. The greeter position, I believe, is often seen as the "whatever" position. Reserved for an extra, unoccupied front end person, or, as in my case, the newbie. It is not a position fulfilled by an irreplaceable. It takes no special skills. Anyone could do it, but not everyone does it. I was thoroughly enjoying it. And then I had a revelation. Which tickled me to the deepest parts this time. As people left the Authority on all things Sports, I got to wish them a GREAT weekend. Which was often, but not always followed with a, "Thanks, you too." At 1st glance, there was nothing in that response that made me excited, except the fact that they did not ignore me. But after maybe the 23rd response, I realized..."They are totally blessing my weekend!" I soon realized that at least 100 people have blessed mmy weekend so I must be about to have the best weekend of my life! As I thought about it, I began to understand that this was the "sowing and reaping" effect taking place here. I was genuinely and intentionally blessing peoples' weekends with no expectation of anything in return. For me it was an honour to be able to do this. But how good is the Father? He saw me and decided to bless me in return. So good! Thank you, Father! For 5 hours straight, there was a beautiful exchange of blessings. Realized or unrealized. This was happening. And I couldn't help but be tickled from the inside out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment